Today was the start of a new journey with the new CI on the left side. Kylie did really well with activation and I will post some of the videos below. The differences we saw from the Right to the Left with activation was very different. Smiley Kylie remained smiley whereas the last time she was a little more nervous and cried with the new sounds.
The best way I can explain the activation is Kylie's ear is a baby and brand new. She has to train her brain to hear the sounds coming through the Cochlear Implant. You could probably say Bob and Kylie and she would turn for both. She is recognizing there are sounds but she is not sure what she is hearing. However, over the day she has made improvements.
Kylie is allowed to wear both implants to school but at home she needs to only wear the left one so that she doesn't favor the right one which of course is easier for her.
Cochlear Implant Fun Fact - Did you know that since Kylie is bilateral it doesn't matter which cochlear processor we put on in the morning on which side? (Mom I can see your quizzical face right now!) The internal components know and will adjust to the program for the corresponding ear. So if she accidentally puts the right processor on the left ear she will still get the programming built for the left. How awesome is that!
It's been an amazing day, however honestly it has been gut wrenching as well. I know it will all get better, however watching your daughter struggle and not even know her name is hard. I could easily put on both cochlear implants and she could hear but that wouldn't be helping to train her brain and I can't do that even if it is the easiest thing. Kylie is eating her dinner and watching TV now which she has advised us she can't hear. One day at a time!
As I waited for the videos to upload to YouTube so I could share them, I played my go to music Maroon 5. Animal came on and Kylie with one implant on turned and said, "Mom, Animal again?" I cried that's a good sign!!!
Here is the video when she was first activated.
Here is her listening for sounds when she hears something she has to put her card on the table.
Here is a sample so I could show everyone on how she hears with both implants and what happens when I take the right one away.

0 comments:
Post a Comment